Robert of Mayflower Bookshop’s
Astrological and Spiritual Insights for October 2010
“No one can read with profit that which he cannot learn to read with pleasure.” –Thomas Hardy
“Love is Who travels, Truth makes, and is, the road.” -Trebore Tau Bodhi
“My argument is that War makes rattling good history; but Peace is poor reading.” –Thomas Hardy
“I was court-martial’d in my absence, and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence.” -Thomas Hardy
“Chit, i feel that way sometimes…” -Captain Bob and the Paddle Boat
- Venus conjunct Mars for the second of three conjunctions on the 3rd of October, on Michaelmas. Last of 3 Venus/Mars conjunct in August and next one in May 2011, in Libra/Scorpio/Taurus respectively. What does it mean? During this nine month period or conception, many a relationship takes heavy review and re-adjustment. Questions about balance, equal exchange, energy/money, love/sex, work/play get worked out at this time. With Venus going retrograde on the 7th, after Mars shot out ahead on the 3rd, take care that your sensitivities and inner feelings (Venus) don’t get too beat up by your ‘men are from Mars’ get up and go. On the other hand, it’s a great time to take the lead when it comes to one’s true desires, wishes, and will. All relationships are now being tested. Venus and Mars are in mid Scorpio, the midpoint between the Galactic and Super Galactic Center, where Pluto made its Perihelion in 1989; holy retro 1989 in love, sex, money, and power ego vs. lack of true self vs. humility, spirit view, person vs. object. Spiritual values of virtue and compassion are challenged by militarism, materialism, and objectifying or over-concretizing qualities of experience. Personalizing and seeing the spiritual spark in all living beings, the infinite possibility and potential in all is challenged. Venus is peace-making while Mars is usually concerned with the martial arts, cars, sports, warring, contesting. The higher octave of Mars is Michaelic courage, truth, and bravery protecting the little ones and standing up for the true, good, and harmonious. Wherever in your personal chart, Fixed Signs of Scorpio, Taurus, Aquarius, and Leo is most affected. Love and Sex entanglements and the negative emotions related to jealousy, anger, envy, seeing too many differences, rather than how we are common-sense untied, are to be avoided. When love works, it’s the best with such aspect; only Mars/Venus oft misfires and quarrels.
“Yes; quaint and curious war is! You shoot a fellow down you’d treat if met where any bar is, or help to half-a-crown.” -Thomas Hardy
When Venus/Mars work well, it’s a good time for love and high deeds of adventure. When Venus/Mars doesn’t work well in your chart’s aspects, it’s dog and cat fights. These triple conjunctions usually are part of a six and a half year cycle, as well as part of a thirty-two year cycle, but somehow that’s broke and this triple conjunction is out of whack, or part of something bigger. Esoterically, it indicates an opportunity for a new type of love or social identity, a higher heart minded relationship, a higher love and intelligence to take the lead in one’s life. The Sun conjunct Venus (inferior conjunction) on the 28th should send home a report card of how well, or not, you are doing. (Especially feeling the vibe are, of course, Libra/Scorpio/Taurus/ Aries, then comes all cardinal and fixed signs, Cancer/Capricorn/Aquarius/Leo.)
“A woman would rather visit her own grave than the place where she has been young and beautiful after she is aged and ugly.” -Thomas Hardy
“Real beauty is where and when the spiritual soul shines through every gesture, feeling, and thought. Truth is when you can see the last seven lifetimes and the next. Whether of the person viewed, or their unborn pre-self and/or aftermath. At the wake, the person honored is usually the first to compost the bio. Primordial mind anyone?” -Trebore Tau Bodhi
- New Moon in Libra on the 7th portends of many a magical flight of fancy till the Moon goes into Capricorn on the 13th bringing reality and long-term security back into the picture. Or is it keeping one’s foot in the door to the future? Serious debates about who and what to save or bail out. Deep insecurity or deep compassionate learning? Each of us gets to choose. The ancients thought the real new moon to be when just after sunset the crescent moon could be seen in the west. Check out the crescent moon snuggled into constellation Scorpio with the reddish ‘wandering star’ Mars near by on October 10th.
“And yet to every bad there is a worse.” -Thomas Hardy
“To the pure, all is pure.” -Trebore Tau Bodhi
- Look for serious news about the economy and our financial crisis, ecological and medicological … as well as voiced need for government governing more strictly on the 5th, 7th, 8th, and 13th as Mercury aspects Saturn/Pluto. A conservative crunch. Good time to get work done and keep a low profile unless you really know what you’re doing. Good time for research and working on self-purification.
“There is a condition worse than blindness, and that is, seeing something that isn’t there.” -Thomas Hardy
“On the other hand, seeing what is here and there can make one blind unless of course you have the paddle boat steering mechanism safely in one hand, while the other is holding what is dearest.” -Captain Bob
- With Sun trine Neptune on the 19th and Mars square Neptune (food poisoning or deception) on the 22nd, (27th vibes this way too) watch out for lies and deceit, swindles and corruption in high places. On the other hand, what a time for a party or a highly idealistic escapade. It’s an aspect that is so spiritual, that it’s surreal and hard to stay practical or manifest one’s higher vision. Check it out. Fun though. On the third hand, watch for many a person wanting to make a major move or migrate into a new world, a new life, a new sense of self and other. Full Moon on 22nd (the Blood Moon in ancient times) makes us feel luckier, juicier, and sensuously alive. This is a good time to practice mind over matter and dispel the negative ghosts from one’s psyche closet.
“The question is; do you want a friend or a karmic situation. A lot could have been solved right there and then, if i really thought this out before i kissed her.” -Captain Bob and the Paddle Boat
- Mars trines Jupiter on the 20th while the Moon triggers Jupiter/Uranus/Pluto. This is a great day to make a positive change in one’s life. By initiating a spiritual practice, yoga, meditation, exercise and a healthy diet, one can become rich within! This is the day to be positive and do something to better oneself and others.
“Patience, that blending of moral courage with physical timidity.” -Thomas Hardy
- Other notable days include—
a. Mercury opposing Jupiter on 1st, and opposing Uranus on 2nd. Busy busy, take care to not just blow away in the wind, but good days for many communications and getting a thousand things done.
“Do not do an immoral thing for moral reasons.” -Thomas Hardy
b. Mercury/Pluto square on 4th is grievous angel stuff. Avoid being negative. See the positive or long-term learning in the ‘bad-ass’ things and words rotating and spinning into view.
“The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him.” -Thomas Hardy
c. Mercury crossed celestial equator on the 5th making for cross currents and sudden shift in markets as well as thought to accommodate deeper feelings.
“The sky was clear – remarkably clear – and the twinkling of all the stars seemed to be but throbs of one body, timed by a common pulse.” -Thomas Hardy
d. On the 9th, the Moon is close to Venus and Mars, generous and intense love feelings emerge. Avoid too much talking, good time to exercise or do yoga, extra energy to merge with higher dreams. Avoid arguments and repeat offenders who go round and round with same old same old. Check out the early evening sky and ponder peace and joy!
“Give the enemy not only a road for flight, but also a means of defending it.” -Thomas Hardy
e. On 20th-24th, Meteor showers from Orion bring serious awareness of coming to earth with reality and spiritual insight, as well as protecting one’s virtue and silence.
“Whenever you don’t know what to do, listen to one’s own silence listening to the other’s stillness.” -Trebore Tau Bodhi
f. On October 25th, Mercury retrograde conjuncts Venus, good time to reconnect and reunite with old and new projects and friends. Poetics and love thoughts vibe the days around this aspect. Beauty wins for a change, and good manners.
“Everybody is so talented nowadays that the only people I care to honor as deserving real distinction are those who remain in obscurity.” –Thomas Hardy
g. Halloween on the 31st with Moon in Leo … this should be a less violent scary one, and more of a masquerade party with many a creative outfit. Often claimed to be the most celebrated festival of the year (take that you fundamentalists!), Halloween persists in being a mostly unconscious and unquestioned celebration of spirits. See my video or dvd Halloween talk for full interpretation esoterica. The early american version is to go past the graveyard, last life’s death, and look for a porch or entry with a love light on. Two parents come to the door to trick away the disembodied spirit-soul of the night, or let them come in for a treat- Love. The pumpkin with a candle inside metaphysically stands for the re-incarnating ego, the pregnant belly. Yes, halloween discloses the secrets of death, bardo, intermediate stages between death and reincarnation, and rebirth. Quite an esoteric pilgrimage for the truly profound philosopher or esoteric truth seeker. Devil’s Night just before halloween is symbolic of the struggle of the excarnated (just deceased) soul separating from its desire/fear body and attempting to enter the Eleusinian fields of the higher worlds of spirit, nirvana or heaven, devachan. All Souls Day following Halloween indicative of the fact that eventually, as with all Universal Religions, all the souls, all the children of God, all beings, reach Nirvana or heavenly realms.
“I am the family face; flesh perishes, I live on.” -Thomas Hardy
“The value of old age depends upon the person who reaches it. To some men of early performance it is useless. To others, who are late to develop, it just enables them to finish the job.” -Thomas Hardy
h. The grand climax of Pluto in Capricorn, Uranus in Aries, and Saturn in Libra continue to vex and hex the best of astrologers, since it indicates such a vast sweep of the past and introduction to so many new futures, as the earth groans in toxins and greed profit-making at the expense of living earth, water, air, and spiritual education. Pluto oppose Cancer alone is the danger of the death of air, water, and good food. The bees are only the beginning. There are the oceans and ground water. Everything is alive and interactive, but for many years we treat the earth as dead and our slave. Saturn in Libra contests and tries the best of relationships and Uranus in Aries creates radical new weaponry and a new soldier of egotism, as well as radical solutions to radical problems. With Pluto opposing USA Venus this month (SAGE Sagittarius Rising Chart), we continue to search for what we truly love in self and other. Such aspect can give many in our nation, a feeling of rejection. Both rich and poor are feeling that way these daze. When one finds the wealth of spiritual awareness and freedom within, the outer worlds find more harmony. See my CD Talk ‘Divine Yoga Sutras’ for the secrets of spiritual insight that can make you inwardly rich.
“If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.” -Thomas Hardy
Check out five new songs on website from 2 Cds about to be released- ‘Songs of the Wild Midwest’. Chris McCall, Carolyn Striho, Jill Jack and others join me in singing a song. Fun stuff! http://web.mac.com/mayflowerbookshop
Mayflower Bookshop is open Wednesday through Saturday about noon to six p.m. Astrological consultations and appointments available, please call for more information.
- New South River Miso in! Mention this newsletter and get 10% off for October.
- New books, crystals, gemstones, art and artifacts come in daily.
- We might have the largest selection of vegetarian incense in the world!
- Lots of new children’s books, fairy tales, home birthing, vegetarian cookbooks, psychology, education, Waldorf, gardening … wow!
- Chris Fessler is giving a talk at the Berkley local Theosophical Society in October. John Barnwell is giving a talk at the Steiner House in Ann Arbor, where I, Robert of Mayflower, will be giving a talk on the first Tuesday of December.
- Carolyn Striho is playing everywhere, and I am doing tunes mostly at Mayflower … but stay tuned.
- New astrological calendars for 2011, including ‘WeMoon’ are in.
- My friend Fred Eaglesmith has a killer new song out, ‘Careless with my Love’ on his new cd. Check him out on YouTube. My other great friend Dougie MacLean has a new cd coming out with lots of great songs you can only hear in concert before. I love ‘Be your loving one,’ and it’s on it. Mayflower will have ‘em! I love these guys’ songwriting!
- New book by HPB coming soon … her last classes, ‘Commentaries on the Secret Doctrine’!
- Doug Gabriel’s doing readings again! We have his number.
- Lots of new magical mystical gemstone bracelets just arrived.
Hope your fall is colorful and full of inner warmth and friendship. If you have a garden, it’s a good time for greens in Michigan.
robert of mayflower