“This we know…..the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. All things are connected, like blood that connects one family. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life-he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”
——–Chief Seattle, circa 1854
MAYFLOWER BOOKSHOP NEWS
- Need your house cleaned or paperwork odds and ends straightened out? Ask Robert about the Mayflower Ladies and their new cleaning biz, putting your house in order services!
- New South River Miso and batch of seaweed in! Mention this ad and get additional 10% off your next Miso purchase during November until Thanksgiving. It’s time to get out your Self Healing Cookbook and Miso/seaweed for hearty cold weather change of season soups and grains.
- Until Thanksgiving weekend, mention this ad and get 10% off any new Steiner or Osho, or Tibetan Buddhist book. Now is the time to get rich with insight, wisdom, and enlightenment.
- Mayflower has new shipments of quartz crystals, gemstone artifacts and jewelry, which will bedazzle and amaze with beauty and wonder from the natural world. Great gift that has timeless value. Good for grounding and awakening more color in one’s life.
- Llewellyn’s Astrological Calendar for 2010 is in. Mention this ad and get 10% off during November until Thanksgiving.
Robert Thibodeau’s Astrological Insights for November 2009/Mayflower Notes
1. Full Moon November 2nd on Daniel Boone and Marie Antoinette’s birthday. Some people are losing their head in politics, others are wilderness warriors. Venus trines Neptune on the Full Moon while Neptune retrograde is about to go direct on the 4th. The NY Stock Exchange may have a crazy fantasy moment, strong shift, up or down, but with Neptune, don’t trust this as long-term. Strong ideals and strategies for the future clash with practical everyday realities. Good time to stay practical, communicate clearly, don’t take things personally, and don’t overextend yourself with energy or money expecting immediate returns. Good for investing in the long run and being rather practical. Venus/Neptune good for higher love, the arts, poetics, soul-mating, and loving one’s way into the future. Not good for impatient, need-it-now types. Neptune going forward first week of November jolts many into practical needs and reality. Air signs may just dream or flow through this time in good spirits. Fixed signs scramble to stay on top of changing conditions, and/or suddenly through fog or self-deceptions in need of new game plan. Escapism not good at this time. Cardinal signs feeling the pressure to put up or shut up, as well as need to manifest product, destiny, or secure structure.
“Thus we never see the true State of our Condition, till it is illustrated to us by its Contraries; nor know how to value what we enjoy, but by the want of it.” – Defoe , Robinson Crusoe, pg. 102.
2. November 10-12, on to November 15th when the first of three Saturn square Pluto take place along with a Sun square Neptune that day. Sun square Jupiter, Mercury trine Uranus and square Neptune, Moon triggers Saturn/Pluto on the12th. The wild dance of doing a thousand things at once, working too hard and trying to play too? Musical chairs? Or just last minute adjustments to ever-changing conditons? One thing is for sure, Saturn/Pluto tends to put a hard reality crunch on things. It’s kind of like, time is up and many things need to be done NOW, so what to eliminate, fire, rid of, drop, cancel, X out, stop. If you can, be sure to get enough sleep and renewing rest during this time. Saturn aspects make for tooth troubles, debt troubles, need for control or disipline. Be careful around repeat offenders, negative always people, and people you cannot help no matter what you do. Saturn/Pluto often indicates having to deal with external situations outside oneself or beyond one’s control. One may feel one’s partner cold at this time, or that intimacy and warmth are lacking. Patience and compassion is key at this time for dealing with keeping on track with long-term goals while that which is closest seems to be cracking, crackling, and carjacking your dreams. Historically, Saturn/Pluto puts lots of pressure on Middle East and geo-political hotspots to find long-term solutions for peace, or face long-term disillusionment and environmental disintegration. The melting and diminishing of both the Himalayan glaciers and the ice in Antartica is affecting hundreds of millions of people. The Ganges River is threatened to dry up! All great mountains are suffering this drying up. Healthy air, water, food may soon replace all wars for land and other mineral rights. We just spent 79 million dollars to crash spacecraft on the moon looking for water with no results so far. Can we learn to spend time and money on loving the earth for heaven’s sake? Scientists claim to be racing to increase food production by 50% over next 20 years to feed an ever-growing population. The number of hungry recently rose to 1.02 billion this year; that’s 1 in 7. With nitrogen fertilizers contributing heavily to greenhouse gases, isn’t it time to start gardens in Detroit’s 40 square miles of vacant acres out of 139 sq. miles?
On the other hand new discoveries and scientific breakthroughs in space and under sea and mountain are just around the corner. One interesting development is the claim of a mayan city just discovered that is bigger than L.A. and holding the largest pyramid in the world so far! Gosh, just in time for 2012 end of the calendar. They also discovered artifacts proving popul vuh and predating spaniards by a millenia….!
“The laboratory table must become an altar.” -Rudolf Steiner
Saturn in Libra is the questioning of partnership and the need for positive long-term solutions in the business of love and money, politics and financial institutions, personal and social structures of health and well-being. Possibly lots of new rules limiting the wilder side of stock/credit card speculation, i.e. hedgefunding. With banks recently returning to paying record bonuses again, anything could happen. Saturn/Pluto wants to end hot wars and just have cold war. Did Nixon’s War on Drugs end? Watch out for strange extremes in the weather, possibly early winter storm warnings come November 12th, 15th, 19th, and the 27th (these are also serious days for work and decision-making, grounding and re-grouping or contracting, dealing with the problem side of life).
Saturn/Pluto square demands strong action, also strong reaction if rights are violated. Saturn squared Pluto in 1777 when America was struggling for freedom and new direction. With Uranus thrown into the configuration, these aspects rival aspects taking place during the great depression after 1929. Saturn/Pluto indicates permanent junctures and turning points in both history and biography (if such aspects hit directly upon your natal chart). Simplicity is in, longevity is strength, and patient perseverance and persistence wins with such aspects. Discipline or control is a choiceless choice here. Reigning in ‘too big to fall’ institutions and government takeovers are common day occurences of late. When top musicians are legally demanding records from the post President Bush administration, on which of their music was used “to torture Guantanamo Bay prisoners with extremely loud rap music,” times are weird, rough, and tough with rule-breaking and international plagues on morality. Saturn/Pluto tends to make tough laws and rules, and sticks to it.
“God is absence. God is the solitude of man.” -Sartre
Saturn square Pluto can be gridlock and frozen up impulses. Stay tuned for coming Saturn square Uranus 2012 and the coming Uranus square Pluto for major breakthroughs and new world one planet working for sanity and peace or major end time scenerios. Cow-a-bunga little veggie burger! Cardinal Signs and planets or Ascending Sign in cardinal signs beware, awaken, be creative and grow!?! Saturn will square Pluto two more times – January 31st and August 21st 2010. Ok, so Saturn/Pluto square was there at outbreak of WWI and II. Saturn in Libra portends of conversing and avoiding unnecessary struggle by peaceful negotions. Pluto in Capricorn says that if that doesn’t work, we will secretly or overtly just ‘control’ the situation. Ben Franklin, an astute astrologer, said, “Forewarned is forearmed.” Astrology can be good astral weather predictions. We are the sportsmen and women taking the field. Out of our own higher selves, out of love and truth, each of us can make a difference right where we are. This is what mind training or spiritual learning is all about. This is what positive thinking begins, heart felt thoughts.. Saturn/Pluto’s 33 to 35 year cycle portends and indicates that such aspect brings about an energy necessitating ‘the need to grow up’. The need to wake up and smell the coffee, the reality of the situation. Will we get a grip on the recession, or will matters worsen?
“The human being is this night, this empty nothingness, which in its simplicity contains everything…this is the night, the inner part of nature, that here exists – pure self…it is the night of the world that approaches.”
-Hegel, from Jenenser Realphilosophie.
It might be time to backyard garden for real. More than one third of species assessed by global diversity are threatened with extinction. Don’t worry, local newspapers report that if honey bees die, we will still have lots of food, though a third or half will disappear. Hey, there’s still beer and dirt isn’t there?! Gosh, the writings always on the wall.
“The only way to combat the influence of these Ahrimanic Beings is to realise that against certain aims of Ahriman nothing avails except to see through him, to know that he is there. I have indicated this repeatedly in the Mystery Plays; think only of the end of the last Play. The Fifth Post-Atlantean epoch must evolve to the stage where many human beings address the Ahrimanic Powers and Beings as Faust addresses Mephistopheles: “In thy Nothingness I hope to find the All.” -RS; Rudolf Steiner, Behind the Scenes in External Happenings – The Fall of the Spirits of Darkness
3. November 19th (18th to 20th influence) -Venus Square Mars. Love works miracles, but it can also mess up the rest of your life. Love implies freedom, freedom without love is dangerous. Venus/Mars aspects heighten sexual awareness, it can be dog and cat fights, or intense kisses, slaps of reality, or sudden insights into relationships. Passion without compassion oft is blind; never much forsight, and hindsight is not always kind. Knowing when to say no is the preriquisite for truly saying yes.
“In my recent lecture on mysticism, I spoke of the particular form of mystic absorption that appeared in the Middle Ages between the time of Meister Eckhart and that of Angelus Silesius. This type of mysticism is distinguished by the fact that the mystic seeks to become free of all the experiences aroused in his soul by the external world. He seeks to acquire the feeling that proves to him that, even when everything of the everyday world is removed from his soul and it withdraws into itself, a world of its own still remains within it. This world always exists but is outshone by the experiences that work so powerfully on man from without. Thus, it generally appears as a light so faint that most men do not even notice it. The mystic usually calls it “the spark”. Yet, he feels sure that it can be fanned to a mighty flame that will illumine the source and foundation of existence leading man along the path of his soul to the knowledge of his origin. This may, indeed, be called “knowledge of God.”
More on Venus Mars square….
Fixed signs under the Love Spell? Water Signs in the love flow? Fire Signs into dictator sex or love idol thrust gottcha? Whew! Watch out for cardinal sign seriousness and mutable sign fickleness. Spring is where love rises, in fall love falls; sometimes into your lap, sometimes on the floor. Venus in Scorpio squares Mars in Leo on same day the Moon (Sagittarius to Capricorn) aspects Saturn/Pluto. Cool attracts hot, hot attracts cool, magnetic attracts lightening sparks and electrical zaps magnetic. Good days for sporting your most attactive magical wear and strutting your stuff. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, avoid mystical magical encounters and sexual play. Mars/Venus tends to be everything or nothing for many folks.
“Infinity and immediate reality are only a breath away to the heart of the lover or poet, musician or true esotericist. True Art awakens, resurrects, the Spirit of the World in the Soul of Imagination.” -Trebore Tau Bodhi of Mayflower
4. Sun in Sagittarius on November 21st sparks a joyful fun filled end of the month with many a happy social encounter. Positive vibe days for love, fun, joy, sociability, and making new connections in biz and otherwise for November include November 5, 8, 10, 14, 23, 25, 26 and 30th.
“Freedom is what you do with what’s been done to you.”
NEXT TALK BY ROBERT OF MAYFLOWER tentatively scheduled for November 22nd, 12 Noon, Om Cafe in Ferndale: FINDING HAPPINESS IN AN UNHAPPY WORLD. Astrological and Metaphysical Insights into having creative and happy times in these nearly apocalyptic and chaotic times. How to find peace and co-create a better future. How the 12 Signs of the Zodiac will fair the play of time. Donation ($20 suggested).
Artists don’t hold the balance or tension of opposites. Artists transcend and overcome warring opposites in life, recreating new ones in a kind of perpetual motion and rest. It’s not I Ching, its Ma Ching, touching, kissing heaven and earth together for a moment, an eternal moment. It’s listening to the birds, catching the change in the garden song, the light. It’s awakening the heart to listening, conversing, truth. Its becoming in the moment, the moment in eternity, the infinite in this finite revealing the spiritual path. -robert of mayflower
Mayflower Bookshop and Gifts
2645 W. 12 Mile Road
248 547 8227
Clear Sky Heart
In autumn leaves red,
there is joy too
in finding stars.
The mind catches fire
in heart’s cool calm
Only pure fools trust
the ground to catch
the fallen times.
Everything is here
in the empty
open clear sky, heart!
-robert thibodeau of mayflower
All Souls Day, 2009
As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter. –Max Planck, The Nature of Matter, Speech at Florence Italy 1944
We do not join together merely to possess agreeable facts of knowledge. Rather should it be that we unite together in order to carry on a sacred service to truth in the interest of mankind’s evolution. Then, indeed, the right knowledge will come to us. Then these facts will not be restrained by all sorts of prejudices…
In contrast, a knowledge must arise through the science of the spirit, a knowledge that can be embraced in two statements that I should especially like to inscribe into your souls today. The first is: A man can never come to a really good, upright, strong personal inner life without having the warmest interest in other men. All inner life that we seek remains false and seductive if it does not go hand in hand with a kindly interest in the character and qualities of other people. We ought straightway to take it for granted that we find ourselves inwardly as man when we take an interest in the characteristics of others. Entering with love into the individualities of other people, which is at times united with a deep experience of the tragedy of life, is what can bring us to self-knowledge. The self-knowledge we seek through delving into ourselves will never be true. We deepen our own inner nature by meeting other people with full interest. But this statement as it has now been expressed here, implies something that cannot be directly carried into effect because it must interact with the other statement.
The other statement is: We never gain a true knowledge of the outer world if we do not resolve to examine the universally human in ourselves and learn to know it. Therefore, all natural science of modern times will be a purely mechanical science and knowledge, not true but false, inverted, unless it is based on the knowledge of man. In the science that was described by me as “occult science” in the book ‘An Outline of Occult Science’, the knowledge of the outer world was sought for together with the knowledge of the human being. We find the inner through the outer, the outer through the inner.
-rudolf steiner, Inner Impulses of Evolution